Seasonal Gardeners for Weleda UK Ltd17th November 2023
The 2024 Flourish Calendar20th November 2023
Weleda was established over one hundred years ago as a place of human development through a common goal – to create natural products that support and enhance health and well-being, profitably.
Today, we operate globally across 50 countries and we are recognised as the industry leader.
We share a common culture founded upon strong sustainable principles for the environment, for the economy and for our personal well-being and development. This includes adopting a flexible approach to work; acting responsibly, honestly and ethically and placing responsibility on each and every one of us to uphold these values.
We’re looking for a gardener to join our small, dedicated garden team based at our 13 acre gardens in Shipley.
In our extensive gardens we grow over 50 medicinal plants. They range from trees like Birch and Thuja, shrubs and hedgerow bushes like Blackthorn and Hawthorn, field crops of Calendula, Oats and Chamomile, plus smaller quantities of herbs, wildflowers, vegetables and weeds!
Initial cultivation for the field crops is done mechanically; everything else is done by hand. Plants are grown in a variety of settings from formal beds, crop fields, wildflower meadows and woodlands. We are completely organic, using Biodynamic methods with Demeter certification.
The garden team harvests medicinal plants and processes them further into fresh plant tinctures in our own production facilities, following strict Good Manufacturing Practice. Harvested amounts can vary from 1 – 200kg!
- To grow medicinal plants to Demeter standard, under the guidance of the garden manager. This includes sowing, transplanting, crop maintenance, irrigation, weeding and harvesting.
- To make tinctures and dry plants to Ph. Eur. and pharmacopeia standards, within the context of GMP and following SOP procedures, under the direction of the garden manager.
- To operate tractors with implements for all-site mowing as well as field cultivations.
- To operate power tools including hedge cutters, strimmers, pole saws and handheld garden machinery.
- To develop and maintain the Field (and occasionally the HQ site gardens), meeting the needs of Production, Marketing and staff welfare, under the guidance of the garden manager. This includes making compost, hedge cutting, pruning, coppicing and wood chipping over Winter
- Applying and making biodynamic preparations and stirs
- To ensure that the garden environment and all equipment is kept safe and tidy. To comply with all Health and Safety.
- To assist the garden manager in the supervision of the seasonal gardeners and volunteers.
- To support marketing of the Weleda brand ie ensure a positive visitor experience of the gardens, ‘feed’ social media with photos and stories from the garden etc.
- To contribute to all staff events hosted by the garden team.
- At least one years’ experience of working in a professional, productive garden or farm.
- A keen interest in biodynamics.
- An understanding of a conservation approach to land management ie biodiversity, habitat creation, wild flower meadows, ponds etc.
- An interest in medicinal plants, herbal medicines and/or Anthroposophic medicines.
- Competence in general organic/biodynamic gardening skills.
- Competence with garden machinery including the use of tractors and hand/power tools.
- Ability to manufacture tinctures and dry plants to GMP standards.
- Driving license
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels and transfer skills/knowledge.
- Enjoys working outdoors in all weathers
- Positive outlook with ‘can do’ attitude
- Team player
The ideal candidate will thrive in an ever-evolving environment, demonstrating flexibility and adaptability as we work in line with weather conditions and company needs.
The hours of work will be 37.5 hours per week, Monday to Friday along with weekend watering through the growing season.
Location: Derbyshire, DE75 7JH
To apply for the role, please visit: Production Gardener job – The Field – Shipley – Weleda (UK) Ltd (livevacancies.co.uk)