Certification Manager – Biodynamic Association11th October 2023
Full-time Grower17th October 2023
An exciting opportunity to lead an enthusiastic team of agroecological growers in a beautiful and pioneering production garden.
At Black Isle Brewery we grow organic vegetables, fruit and herbs using regenerative methods including minimum till, agroforestry, and permaculture techniques to supply the two bars we run, a high end local restaurant, several houses on site and a growing veg box scheme.
The health of our native wildlife, the climate situation, nutrient-rich food production and education are all equally important to us and our pioneering production garden is designed to achieve a balance of these in how we manage the land.
We are looking for an experienced Head Grower to lead our sustainable growing operation. The candidate will be dedicated to agroecological principles and have a proven track record of running an organic production garden. This is a permanent position with the possibility of on-site accommodation.
The successful candidate will be reliable, flexible, collegial and have:
- at least three years growing experience at market garden scale
- experience of upkeeping organic standards for certification
- experience of growing using agroecological methods including no-dig
- good team leadership skills, including working with volunteers
- experience of working with children
- good organisational skills and be able to multi-task
- good record keeping skills
- willingness to teach these skills to trainees
It would be desirable for the candidate to have experience of:
- facilitating workshops
- working with people with additional needs
- Working alongside the assistant gardener to manage trainees and volunteers
- Day to day operation of a 3 acre organic market garden
- Recruiting and coordinating residential trainees and local volunteers
- Liaising with bar/restaurant managers to provide produce for seasonal menus
- Liaising with the brewery team to provide seasonal updates for promotional material
- Working with local schools to allocate tasks for visiting groups
- Teaching trainees the basics of agroecological food production
- Facilitating ‘grow your own’ workshops
- Keeping sales and yield records
- Leading tours of the garden
Hours: 40 p/w.
Salary depending on experience. Full drivers license and own vehicle essential.
Please send a CV and cover letter to email@example.com Closing date 6th November