Market Gardener – Urb Farm Wolverton17th November 2023
Gardener for Weleda UK Ltd17th November 2023
Weleda was established over one hundred years ago as a place of human development through a common goal – to create natural products that support and enhance health and well-being, profitably.
Today, we operate globally across 50 countries and we are recognised as the industry leader.
We share a common culture founded upon strong sustainable principles for the environment, for the economy and for our personal well-being and development. This includes adopting a flexible approach to work; acting responsibly, honestly and ethically and placing responsibility on each and every one of us to uphold these values.
We’re looking for seasonal gardeners to join our small, dedicated garden team based at our 13-acre gardens in Shipley.
The duration of the position is approximately seven months, commencing 18th March 2024 until 31st October 2024. We therefore expect interviews to take place end of January 2024.
In our extensive gardens we grow over 50 medicinal plants. They range from trees like Birch and Thuja, shrubs and hedgerow bushes like Blackthorn and Hawthorn, field crops of Calendula, Oats and Chamomile, plus smaller quantities of herbs, wildflowers, vegetables and weeds!
Initial cultivation for the field crops is done mechanically; everything else is done by hand. Some plants are grown in beds, others are grown extensively in meadows or in our woodland edges. We are completely organic, using Biodynamic methods with Demeter certification.
As well as sowing, planting, weeding and making compost, the garden team also do the harvesting and making of fresh plant tinctures, following strict Good Manufacturing Practice. Harvested amounts can vary from 1 – 200kg per day!
We are looking for individuals with gardening or growing experience, but enthusiasm and interest in Biodynamics and medicinal herbs is equally as important. We work outdoors in all weathers and duties of this role will include:
- To grow medicinal plants to Demeter standard, under the guidance of the garden manager. This includes sowing, transplanting, crop maintenance, irrigation, weeding and harvesting.
- To make tinctures and dry plants to Ph. Eur. and pharmacopeia standards, within the context of GMP and following SOP procedures, under the direction of the Garden Manager.
- To develop and maintain the Field (and occasionally the HQ site gardens), meeting the needs of production, marketing and staff welfare, under the guidance of the Garden Manager. This includes making compost, hedge cutting, pruning, coppicing and wood chipping.
- Operating power tools including hedge cutters, strimmers, pole saws and handheld garden machinery.
- Applying and making biodynamic preparations and stirs.
- To ensure that the garden environment and all equipment is kept safe and tidy. To comply with all Health and Safety.
- To contribute to all staff events hosted by the garden team.
The ideal candidate will thrive in an ever-evolving environment, demonstrating flexibility, resilience, and adaptability as we work in line with weather conditions and company needs.
The hours of work will be 37.5 hours per week, 8:00am to 4:30pm Monday to Friday along with weekend watering through the growing season.
Location: Derbyshire, DE75 7JH
To apply for the role, please visit: Seasonal Gardener job – Ilkeston office – Weleda (UK) Ltd (livevacancies.co.uk)